An Opus card is a smart card that is used for public transit in Montreal. It is accepted on the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) network, which includes the metro, buses, and the suburban commuter train service (the Réseau de transport métropolitain, or RTM). With an Opus card, you can travel on the STM network by simply tapping your card on the fare gate or validator when you enter or exit a station.
There are several types of Opus cards available, including regular adult cards, reduced fare cards for seniors, students, and people with disabilities, and monthly or annual passes. The type of card you need depends on your age, your student status, and how often you plan to use the STM network. You can purchase an Opus card at an Opus card retailer or online through the STM website.
Table of Contents
Process To Get An OPUS Card For Students In Montreal
- Make sure you are eligible for a student Opus card : To be eligible, you must be a full-time student enrolled in a school that is recognized by the Commission scolaire de Montréal (CSDM), the Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys (CSMB), or the Commission scolaire Marie-Victorin (CSMV).
- Gather the necessary documents : You will need to provide proof of your full-time student status, such as a letter from your school or a student ID card. You will also need to provide a government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license or passport. You college will provide you a letter to for OPUS card which is also required document.
- Visit an Opus card retailer: You can find a list of retailers on the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) website.
- Purchase a student Opus card : When you visit the retailer, you will need to provide your proof of student status and government-issued ID. You will also need to pay a one-time fee of $6 for the card itself, as well as any applicable fares.
- Activate your card: Once you have your card, you will need to activate it before you can use it to travel. You can do this online through the STM website or by calling the STM customer service center.
- Load your card with fares: You will need to load your card with fares before you can use it to travel on the STM network. You can do this online, at a fare vending machine, or at an Opus card retailer.
- Start using your card: Once your card is activated and loaded with fares, you can start using it to travel on the STM network. Just tap your card on the fare gate or validator when you enter or exit a station, and the appropriate fare will be deducted from your card balance.
You can always visit STM official website for your student OPUS card information such as where you can obtain it, recharge it every month and etc.
How To Get Reduced Fare OPUS Card On Omnivox :
If you are studying in any college of Montreal, you can always check on Omnivox either on web application or mobile application. Where you will get an options to obtain it online using your student Omnivox account. You can get your reduced fare student OPUS card easily by following this procedure.
- Log in to Omnivox : Go to your college or university’s login page and enter your login credentials to access the system.
- Reduced Fare Opus Card : Navigate to the “Opus” section. From the main menu, click on the “Opus” tab or option to access the Opus card services.
- Follow the prompts to purchase a student Opus card: You may be asked to provide your proof of student status and government-issued ID, as well as pay the one-time fee for the card and any applicable fares.
Once you complete the online procedure to obtain student OPUS card, You will have to pay $15 charges and you can get it delivered to your given address.
How To Recharge OPUS Card?
There are several ways to recharge your Opus card in Montreal:
- Online: You can recharge your card online through the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) website or through the My STM app. To do this, you will need to have an STM account and a valid credit card.
- Fare vending machine: You can also recharge your card at a fare vending machine, which can be found at most metro stations and some bus stops. To do this, you will need to have cash, a credit card, or a debit card.
- Opus card retailer: You can also recharge your card at an Opus card retailer. You can find a list of retailers on the STM website. You can find OPUS card retailer in your are by visiting STM website and find apporved retailer in your area. Check List Of Authorized Retailers from given link.
- Customer service center: You can also recharge your card by visiting an STM customer service center. You can find a list of customer service centers on the STM website.
Remember that you will need to have your card with you in order to recharge it. You will also need to have enough money on your card to cover the cost of your fares.
How To Renew Student OPUS Card?
You can always renew your student OPUS card as long as you have valid documents from your college or university by one of following,
- Online (for students of participating institutions)
- By mail
- At the photography tour if it is taking place at your institution.
- At the photo studio (1755 Berri Street)